The Office of the Energy Regulatory Commission of Thailand is planning to refund electric meter deposit to consumers
On 19 March 2020, the Energy Regulatory Commission (ERC), Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA), Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA), as the MEA spokesperson, made a statement on the regulations for returning the power meter deposits to consumers based on the meter capacities or the deposits that were paid to MEA.
Who will receive the refund?
- type 1 (households)
- type 2 (small businesses)
How much is the electrical refund?
This depends on the meter used, which is divided as…
- Meter size 5 (15-Amp), electricity deposit 300 baht
- Meter size 15 (45-Amp), electricity deposit 2,000 baht
- Meter size 30 (100-Amp), electricity deposit 4,000 baht
- Meter size 15 (45-Amp), Phase 3 Electricity deposit 6,000 baht
Those who wish to receive the refunds are required to register and check eligibility through online platforms for convenience and promptness without commuting to MEA.
The deposit recipients shall provide the following information for registration:
- Name-Surname of the owner of the power meter deposit.
- The 13-digit identity card number of the owner of the power meter deposit.
- Contract Account Number (CA Number) which has been specified on the electricity bill or receipt or the MEA Smart life Application under the bill payment function.
For registration, authentication, and request for the deposit refunds, please go to one of the three channels as follows:
- Online registration (from 25 March 2020 onwards, available 24 hours a day).
- Application: MEA Smart Life
- Website: www.mea.or.th
- Facebook: Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA)
- Twitter: @mea_news
- Line: @meathailand
- Scanning QR Code on your electricity bill (the electricity bills with meter reading from 25 March 2020 onwards).
- via telephone at 0 2256 3333 (50 lines). (from 25 March 2020 to 29 May 2020, 08.00 am – 03.30 pm on business days)
For online registrants – after MEA has verified that you are eligible for the refund (the name of the deposit recipient shall be the same as the name of the deposit owner in our database under cash payment category), you will be paid through the method indicated in your online registration without declaring any additional documents from 31 March 2020 onwards.
In the aforesaid registration, the deposit claimants can choose one of the following three methods to get the deposit rebate without paying any fees:
Method 1: Prompt Pay – for those linking the 13-digit ID card number with the Prompt Pay Account.
Method 2: Commercial Bank Accounts, namely Krung Thai Bank, Siam Commercial Bank, and Kasikorn Bank, whose account namesshall be the same as the deposit owner names.
Method 3: Counter Service (the amount not over than 50,000 baht).
For further information, please contact via MEA’s social media at Facebook: Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA), Line: @meathailand, Twitter: @mea_news, and MEA Call Center 1130, anytime around the clock.
reference from: https://www.mea.or.th/en/content/detail/87/528